Castle

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Short morning post of triumph...

This will be a short post because I've got to get to my day job and do day-job things like hold office hours and grade the (slightly smaller) mountain of papers I have.

I finished my edits on Hell Mary, my novel, last night.  I did detailed line edits and took notes and made plans.  (Small confession: not the last chapter, which I realized I need to totally rewrite. Again. So I guess I did make a plan. It said: "completely rewrite with...")  It was a good feeling, but a scary one, too.  I enjoy it when I read it, which is good because if I don't like it, who else will?  But, on the other hand, I'm feeling very much ready to be done with it.  Ready to send it out in the world and see if it will fly. All those metaphors.  I'd like to get to actually making the changes tomorrow, but with other stuff (that day job again) I just don't know if I can.  And then Friday starts the Big Trip (a Study Abroad trip to London). So no work on the novel for a week, until I get back.

But, all the grumbling aside. I finished it, and I feel like it looks good. Like the plot arc works, and the parts work.  Most of the editing will be deck-chair arranging, so if massive edits and overhauls are needed, I don't see them at this moment. Maybe I will someday.

So, on more edit, and it's off to the Suvudu contest it goes.  And then out go the query letters. Which is a whole other challenge.  (I went through about fifteen different words until I got to the relatively neutral "challenge.")

No comments:

Post a Comment